from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The business of designing, making, and selling highly fashionable, usually custom-made clothing for women.
- n. Dressmakers and fashion designers considered as a group.
- n. The high-fashion clothing created by designers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The production of high-end, custom-made clothing
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. high fashion designing and dressmaking.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. high fashion designing and dressmaking
French, sewing, from Old French cousture, from Vulgar Latin *cōnsūtūra, from Latin cōnsuere, cōnsūt-, to sew together : com-, com- + suere, to sew; see syū- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Shortening of haute couture, thus ultimately from French couture (Wiktionary)