from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A weapon consisting of a bow fixed crosswise on a wooden stock, with grooves on the stock to direct the projectile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mechanised weapon, based on the bow and arrow, which fires bolts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A weapon, used in discharging arrows or bolts, formed by placing a bow crosswise on a stock.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A missive weapon formed by a bow fixed athwart a stock in which there is a groove or barrel to direct the missile, a notch or catch to hold the string when the bow is bent, and a trigger to release it; an arbalist.
- n. Figuratively, a crossbowman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bow fixed transversely on a wooden stock grooved to direct the arrow (quarrel)
Sorry, no etymologies found.