from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Intended or appropriate for defending; protective.
- adj. Intended to withstand or deter aggression or attack: a defensive weapons system; defensive behavior.
- adj. Of or relating to the effort to prevent an opponent from gaining points in a game or athletic contest.
- adj. Performed so as to avoid risk, danger, or legal liability: defensive driving; defensive medicine,
- adj. Of or relating to defense.
- adj. Psychology Constantly protecting oneself from criticism, exposure of one's shortcomings, or other real or perceived threats to the ego.
- n. A means of defense.
- n. An attitude or position of defense.
- idiom on the defensive Prepared to withstand or counter aggression or attack.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Intended for defence; protective
- adj. Intended to deter attack
- adj. Performed so as to minimise risk
- adj. Displaying an inordinate sensitivity to criticism; compare paranoid
- adj. Of a bowling or fielding tactic designed to prevent the other side from scoring runs.; of a batting tactic designed to prevent being out.
- adj. pertaining to defense, as opposed to attack.
- n. A means, attitude or position of defense.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Serving to defend or protect; proper for defense; opposed to offensive.
- adj. Carried on by resisting attack or aggression; -- opposed to offensive.
- adj. In a state or posture of defense.
- n. That which defends; a safeguard.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Serving to defend; proper for defense: as, defensive armor.
- Of the nature of defense; consisting in resisting attack or aggression: as, defensive war, in distinction from offensive war, which is aggressive.
- In a state or posture to defend: as, a defensive attitude.
- n. That which defends or serves for defense; a safeguard; a security.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. intended or appropriate for defending against or deterring aggression or attack
- adj. attempting to justify or defend in speech or writing
- n. an attitude of defensiveness (especially in the phrase `on the defensive')
Sorry, no etymologies found.