from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A rheostat or other device used to vary the intensity of an electric light.
- n. A parking light on a motor vehicle.
- n. A low beam.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rheostat that is used to vary the intensity of a domestic electric light
- n. A switch used to select between the low and high headlamp beam on a road vehicle. (usually as "dimmer switch", primarily in North America; elsewhere "dipswitch" or "dipper switch")
- adj. comparative form of dim: more dim
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In electricity, an adjustable reactive coil used for reducing the amount of light of incandescent lamps.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a rheostat that varies the current through an electric light in order to control the level of illumination
Sorry, no etymologies found.