from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. See ant lion.
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. See pill bug.
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. See sow bug.
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. A divining rod.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. , (UK) the V-1 flying bomb
- n. A term of endearment.
- n. antlion larva (Myrmeleontidae)
- n. a doodlebug tractor, an automobile converted into a cheap tractor for a small farm (during World War II)
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small jet-propelled winged missile that carries a bomb
- n. the larva of any of several insects
- n. a small motor vehicle
Perhaps dialectal doodle, fool, simpleton; akin to Low German dudeldopp + bug.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
doodle + bug (Wiktionary)