from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To unload: download cargo from a transport aircraft.
- transitive v. Computer Science To transfer (data or programs) from a server or host computer to one's own computer or device.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A file transfer to the local computer, especially one in progress.
- n. A file that has been, or will be transferred in this way.
- v. To transfer (computer data, especially as one or more files) from a remote computer (server) to a local computer, usually via a network.
- v. upload; to copy a file from a local computer to a remote computer via a network.
- v. to transfer a file to or from removable media.
- v. to install software.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. transfer a file or program from a central computer to a smaller computer or to a computer at a remote location
From down- + load. (Wiktionary)