from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An alloy of silver and gold.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Amber.
- n. An alloy of gold and silver, used by the ancients; now specifically a natural alloy with between 20 and 50 per cent silver.
- n. German silver plate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Amber.
- n. An alloy of gold and silver, of an amber color, used by the ancients.
- n. German-silver plate. See German silver, under German.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A word used by Greek (
η%27λεκτρον) and Latin (electrum) authors with various meanings at various times.
- n. Native argentiferous gold in which the silver amounts to one third or more.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an alloy of gold and silver
Middle English, from Latin ēlectrum, amber, from Greek ēlektron.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin electrum, from Ancient Greek ἤλεκτρον (ēlektron). (Wiktionary)