from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The nutritive tissue within seeds of flowering plants, surrounding and absorbed by the embryo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. tissue surrounding the embryo of flowering plant seeds, that provides nutrition to the developing embryo; usually triploid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The albumen of a seed; -- limited by recent writers to that formed within the embryo sac.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the albumen of the seed; the substance stored in the ovule or seed about the embryo for its early nourishment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. nutritive tissue surrounding the embryo within seeds of flowering plants
Sorry, no etymologies found.