from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. On end; upright.
- adv. With the end foremost.
- adv. Lengthwise.
- adv. End to end.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. upright, or standing on end
- adv. with the end towards the front or towards the observer
- adv. towards the ends
- adj. On-end; upright; pertaining or relating to the end.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- On end; erectly; in an upright position.
- With the end forward or upward: as, to present or hold a staff endwise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. on end or upright
- adv. in or toward the direction of the ends; lengthwise
- adv. with the end forward or toward the observer
end + -wise (Wiktionary)