from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Tending to push or thrust out.
- adj. Tending to protrude or project.
- adj. Derived from magma poured out or ejected at the earth's surface. Used of igneous rocks.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Jutting out; extruding.
- n. Rock which has been formed through volcanic extrusion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Forced out at the surface; ; -- contrasted with
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Capable of being extruded or thrust out; that tends or serves to extrude or thrust out or forth; specifically, in petrography, erupted or extruded: applied to igneous rocks. Same as effusive.
- n. That which is extruded; specifically, in petrography, same as effusive (which see): contrasted with intrusive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of rock material; forced out while molten through cracks in the earth's surface
Sorry, no etymologies found.