from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various large bright spots or veined patches on the sun's photosphere, usually near sunspots.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bright spot or patch between sunspots
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In astronomy, one of the small spots often seen on the sun's disk, which appear brighter than the rest of his surface.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bright spot on a planet
- n. a large bright spot on the sun's photosphere occurring most frequently in the vicinity of sunspots
Latin, small torch, diminutive of fax, fac-, torch.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)