from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See field-grade officer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A (para)military commissioned officer who holds a field grade, ranking under general officers but above lower grades and fit to command medium-size units on the field, such as a battalion or regiment; or a non-army equivalents in rank.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an officer above the rank of captain and below that of general.
- n. etc. See under Field, General. etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A military officer above the rank of captain and below that of general, as a colonel. Abbreviated F. O.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an officer holding the rank of major or lieutenant colonel or colonel
Sorry, no etymologies found.