from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A crystalline compound, C15H10O2, the parent substance of a number of important yellow pigments, occurring on the leaves or in the stems and seed capsules of many primroses.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of a class of tricyclic aromatic heterocyclic ketones, especially the naturally occurring flavonoids
- n. (uncountable) the parent compound of this class
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A group of naturally occurring yellow coloring-matters, some members of which are used as dyes. The parent substance is called phenylpheno-
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a colorless crystalline compound that is part of a number of white or yellow plant pigments
Sorry, no etymologies found.