from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ornament or band worn on the forehead as a phylactery.
- n. The forehead of an animal.
- n. The forehead of a bird when of a different color or texture of plumage.
- n. An ornamental border for a frontal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The forehead.
- n. The forehead of an animal, especially of a deer or stag (including the antlers).
- n. An ornament worn on the forehead.
- n. A bandage or medical preparation worn around the head.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A frontal or brow band; a fillet or band worn on the forehead.
- n. A frown (likened to a frontlet).
- n. The margin of the head, behind the bill of birds, often bearing rigid bristles.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Something worn on the forehead; specifically, among the Hebrews, a phylactery bound upon the forehead.
- n. A band for the forehead; specifically, one forming part of the head-dress worn in the fifteenth century and later.
- n. Figuratively, the look or appearance of the forehead.
- n. The forehead or front.
- n. Specifically, in ornithology, the frons or forehead of a bird in any way marked by the color or texture of the plumage: as, the glittering metallic frontlet of a humming-bird. See frontal, n., 7.
- n. The skin which covers the forehead of a mammal, particularly of a ruminant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an adornment worn on the forehead
Middle English, from Old French frontelet, diminutive of frontel, ornament worn on the forehead; see frontal2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French frontelet, diminutive of frontel. (Wiktionary)