from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various fruit-eating bats of the suborder Megachiroptera, inhabiting chiefly tropical and subtropical regions of Africa, Asia, and Australia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of several tropical fruit-eating bats of the family Pteropodidae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. one of the Frugivora; -- called also fruit-eating bat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fruit-eating or frugivorous bat of the family Pteropodidæ, or suborder Frugivora; a fox-bat or flying-fox. See cut in next column.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large Old World bat of warm and tropical regions that feeds on fruit
Sorry, no etymologies found.