from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument used to detect, measure, and determine the direction of small electric currents by means of mechanical effects produced by a current-carrying coil in a magnetic field.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device used to indicate the presence and direction of a small electric current, especially used to detect a null or balanced condition in a bridge circuit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument or apparatus for measuring the intensity of an electric current, usually by the deflection of a magnetic needle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for detecting the existence and determining the strength and direction of an electric current.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. meter for detecting or comparing or measuring small electric currents
Sorry, no etymologies found.