from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hollow, usually spheroidal rock with crystals lining the inside wall.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nodule of stone having a cavity lined with mineral or crystal matter on the inside wall.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A nodule of stone, containing a cavity, lined with crystals or mineral matter.
- n. The cavity in such a nodule.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A concretionary stone or pebble, hollow inside, and often having the walls of the cavity lined with crystals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (mineralogy) a hollow rock or nodule with the cavity usually lined with crystals
French géode, from Latin geōdēs, a precious stone, from Greek, earthlike : gē, earth + -ōdēs, adj. suff.; see collodion.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)