from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The third letter of the Hebrew alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The third letter of the several Semitic alphabet (Phoenician, Aramaic, Hebrew, Syriac, Arabic).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the 3rd letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The third letter of the Hebrew alphabet (), corresponding to the English g in go. Its numerical value is 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the 3rd letter of the Hebrew alphabet
Hebrew gîmel, of Phoenician origin; see gml2 in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hebrew גימל (gimel); ultimately from Proto-Semitic word for a weapon which was debatably either a staff sling or a throwing stick. (Wiktionary)