from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Theatrical makeup, especially a preparation of grease mixed with colorings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mixture of grease and colouring matter used as theatrical makeup
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a greasy substance containing pigments, used as makeup by actors, clowns, and other entertainers.
- n. Theatrical makeup, generally.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Tallow or some hard grease, melted and colored by stirring into it various pigments, used by actors in painting their faces. While hot it is run into conveniently formed molds, sticks variously colored being thus made to meet the needs of the make-up.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a greasy substance used as makeup by actors
Sorry, no etymologies found.