from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several small wood-boring marine isopod crustaceans of the genus Limnoria, especially L. lignorum, which often damage underwater wooden structures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various wood-boring marine crustaceans of the genus Limnoria, especially Limnoria lignorum, which cause damage to underwater wooden structures
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small marine isopod crustacean (Limnoria lignorum or Limnoria terebrans), which burrows into and rapidly destroys submerged timber, such as the piles of wharves, both in Europe and America.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A shoot from a tree; a short cutting.
- n. A small isopod crustacean, Limnoria terebrans, belonging to the family Asellidæ.
Possibly diminutive of grub.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)