from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Causing horror and repugnance; frightful and shocking: a gruesome murder. See Synonyms at ghastly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. repellently frightful and shocking; horrific or ghastly
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Ugly; frightful. Same as grewsome.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Causing one to shudder; frightfully dismal or depressing; horribly repulsive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. shockingly repellent; inspiring horror
Obsolete grue, to shudder (from Middle English gruen, from Middle Dutch grūwen or Middle Low German gruwen) + -some1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Compare Danish and Norwegian grusom ("horrible"), German grausam ("cruel"). (Wiktionary)