from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device for igniting the charge of a firearm.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mechanism fitted to a cannon that fires it when a cord is pulled.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The mechanism of a gun for producing the discharge. See lock.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The mechanism of a gun by which the hammer is controlled both in cocking the piece and in exploding the charge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the action that ignites the charge in a firearm
gun + lock (Wiktionary)