from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The full moon that occurs nearest the autumnal equinox.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The first full moon of autumn by a tropical year.
- n. The full moon nearest the autumn equinox, when the moon rises the latest and lowest in the sky and seems to appear the biggest, as seen from the Northern Hemisphere.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the moon near the full at the time of harvest in England, or about the autumnal equinox, when, by reason of the small angle that is made by the moon's orbit with the horizon, it rises nearly at the same hour for several days.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The full moon nearest to the autumnal equinox.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the full moon nearest the September equinox
Extra light provides longer hours for the harvesting that occurs in the Northern Hemisphere at this time of year. (Wiktionary)