from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The scientific study of the sun
- n. The art of making a heliograph
- n. The system of signalling by heliograph
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The description of the sun.
- n. The system, art, or practice of telegraphing, or signaling, with the heliograph.
- n. An early photographic process invented by Nicéphore Niepce, and still used in photo-engraving. It consists essentially in exposing under a design or in a camera a polished metal plate coated with a preparation of asphalt, and subsequently treating the plate with a suitable solvent. The light renders insoluble those parts of the film which is strikes, and so a permanent image is formed, which can be etched upon the plate by the use of acid.
- n. Photography.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A method of signaling between distant points by means of the heliograph.
- n. In general, photography; specifically, some special photographic process; photographic engraving. See the extract, and heliographic engraving, under heliographic.
- n. The description and mapping of the surface of the sun.
Sorry, no etymologies found.