from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The percentage by volume of packed red blood cells in a given sample of blood after centrifugation.
- n. A centrifuge used to determine the volume of blood cells and plasma in a given sample of blood.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The percentage (by volume) of packed red blood cells in a centrifuged sample of blood
- n. A centrifuge used to analyze the relative amount of red blood cells and plasma in blood
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a measuring instrument to determine (usually by centrifugation) the relative amounts of corpuscles and plasma in the blood
- n. the ratio of the volume occupied by packed red blood cells to the volume of the whole blood as measured by a hematocrit
hemato- + Greek kritēs, judge (from krīnein, to judge; see krei- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)