from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a device that automatically responds to drops in humidity by adding moisture to the air to maintain the humidity at a desired setting, similar to how a thermostat works for temperature.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A contrivance or apparatus to prevent the explosion of steam boilers.
- n. A device, usually electrical, for indicating or regulating the height of water in a reservoir or receptacle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An apparatus of any kind for preventing the explosion of steam-boilers.
- n. An electrical device for detecting the presence of water, used as a protection against damage to buildings from overflow or leakage.
Sorry, no etymologies found.