from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or generated by the intellect.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, related to, or caused by the intellect.
- adj. Having the capacity to reason and understand.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or produced by, the intellect or understanding; intellectual.
- adj. Having power to understand, know, or comprehend; intelligent; rational.
- adj. Capable of being perceived by the understanding only, not by the senses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the intellect; having power to understand, know, or comprehend.
- Produced by the understanding.
- Capable of being perceived by the understanding only, not by the senses.
- Intellectual; intelligent.
From the Middle French intellectif and its etymon the post-Classical Latin intellēctīvus, from intellegō. (Wiktionary)