from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ornamental shrub (Chaenomeles japonica) that is native to Japan and cultivated for its red flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several plants originally native to Japan, but especially a species of camelia, Camelia japonica
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A species of Camellia (Camellia Japonica), a native of Japan, bearing beautiful red or white flowers. Many other genera have species of the same name.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Camellia, Japonica.
- n. Pyrus (Cydonia) Japonica.
- n. Same as terra Japonica (catechu).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. deciduous thorny shrub native to Japan having red blossoms
- n. greenhouse shrub with glossy green leaves and showy fragrant rose-like flowers; cultivated in many varieties
New Latin, species name, from Japonia, Japan.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)