from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A medieval Scandinavian chieftain or nobleman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a medieval Scandinavian nobleman, especially in Norway and Denmark
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A chief; an earl; in English history, one of the leaders in the Danish and Norse invasions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Scandinavian history: A man of noble birth; a nobleman.
- n. A chief; as a title, an earl; a count. The name was used both as a family title and as an official designation. In Iceland, practically a republican commonwealth, it never took root.
Old Norse.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old Norse jarl. Cognates include Old English eorl (English earl). (Wiktionary)