from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small North American birds of the genus Junco, having predominantly gray plumage, a gray or black head, and white outer tail feathers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any bird of the genus Junco, which includes several species of North American finch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any bird of the genus Junco, which includes several species of North American finches; -- called also snowbird, or blue snowbird.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A notable genus of the finch family, Fringillidæ; the North American snowbirds.
- n. [lowercase] Any bird of this genus; a snowbird.
- n. A thorny shrub or small tree, Kœberlinia spinosa, of southwestern Texas and northern Mexico, with numerous almost leafless branches, the branchlets ending in spines.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small North American finch seen chiefly in winter
Spanish, reed, from Latin iuncus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish (Wiktionary)