from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An operation in which a laparoscope is used, as in an examination of the liver or the surgical treatment of endometriosis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Examination of the loins or abdomen, now specifically examination or surgery on the peritoneal cavity using a laparoscope.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Laparotomy performed with a laparoscope.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Inspection of the abdomen.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. laparotomy performed with a laparoscope that makes a small incision to examine the abdominal cavity (especially the ovaries and Fallopian tubes)
Greek laparā, flank; see laparoscope + -scopy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From laparo- + -scopy, after German Laparoskopie. (Wiktionary)