from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A medium of communication between peoples of different languages.
- n. A mixture of Italian with Provençal, French, Spanish, Arabic, Greek, and Turkish, formerly spoken on the eastern Mediterranean coast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a common language used by people of diverse backgrounds to communicate with one another, often a basic form of speech with simplified grammar
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The commercial language of the Levant, -- a mixture of the languages of the people of the region and of foreign traders.
- n. Any hybrid or other language used over a wide area as a common or commercial tongue among peoples of different speech.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a common language used by speakers of different languages
Italian : lingua, language + franca, Frankish (that is, European).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian lingua franca ("Frankish language") (Wiktionary)