from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pot; specifically a container filled with water used in India, for washing and ablution.
- n. A person that switches loyalties, especially from one political party to another. This comes from the fact that the "lota" has a tendency to fall over and roll around, as it is not stable sitting on its base.
- n. Slurry, also used as an insult.
- n. A person who is employed by a for-profit institution despite having a high net worth derived from managing a family-owned business.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of gadoid fishes of an elongate shape with villiform teeth on the jaws and vomer, typical of the subfamily Lotinæ. The burbot, L. maculosa, is an example. See cut under burbot.
- n. A globular or melon-shaped pot, usually of polished brass, used in the East Indies for drawing water, drinking, and ablutions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. burbot
- n. a globular water bottle used in Asia
Sorry, no etymologies found.