from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Used as a form of polite address for a woman: Will that be cash or charge, ma'am?
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A contracted form of madam
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Madam; my lady; -- a colloquial contraction of madam often used in direct address, and sometimes as an appellation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common colloquial contraction of madam, used especially in answers, after yes and no, or interrogatively, when one expects or has not distinctly heard a question.
- n. At the British Court it is used, instead of ‘madam,’ in addressing the queen or a royal princess.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman of refinement
Contraction of madam (Wiktionary)