from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or having the power of divination; prophetic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to divination; prophetic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to divination, or to the condition of one inspired, or supposed to be inspired, by a deity; prophetic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating or pertaining to prophecy or divination, or to one supposed to be inspired; prophetic: as, mantic fury.
- n. Divination; an object used in divination.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. resembling or characteristic of a prophet or prophecy
Greek mantikos, from mantis, seer; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek μαντικός (mantikos), from μάντις (mantis, "seer, soothsayer"), from μαίνομαι (mainomai, "I am mad, raving"). (Wiktionary)