from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A street band in Mexico.
- n. The music performed by such a band.
- n. A musician belonging to such a band.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to a traditional form of Mexican music, either sung or purely instrumental.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a band playing such music, or to the singers of such songs.
- n. A group that plays mariachi music.
- n. A member of such a group.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a group of street musicians in Mexico
American Spanish, perhaps from French mariage, marriage (so called because the music may have originated at weddings in Jalisco, a state of west-central Mexico); see marriage.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from Spanish mariachi, from French mariage ("marriage"). (Wiktionary)