from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See under Marsh.
- n. a plant of the genus Althæa ( Althæa officinalis) common in marshes near the seashore, and whose root is much used in medicine as a demulcent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A shrubby herb, Althæa officinalis, growing in marshy places, especially maritime, in the temperate regions of the Old World, and on the coast of New England and New York.
- n. A paste or confection made from the root of this plant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. European perennial plant naturalized in United States having triangular ovate leaves and lilac-pink flowers
- n. spongy confection made of gelatin and sugar and corn syrup and dusted with powdered sugar
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.