from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The science that deals with procedures used in extracting metals from their ores, purifying and alloying metals, and creating useful objects from metals.
- n. The study of metals and their properties in bulk and at the atomic level.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The science of metals; their extraction from ores, purification and alloying, heat treatment, and working.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art of working metals, comprehending the whole process of separating them from other matters in the ore, smelting, refining, and parting them; sometimes, in a narrower sense, only the process of extracting metals from their ores.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of smelting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the science and technology of metals
New Latin metallūrgia, from Greek metallourgos, miner, worker in metals : metallon, a mine, metal + -ourgos, -worker (from ergon, work).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek μεταλλουργός (matallourgos, "worker in metal"), from μέταλλον (metallon, "metal") + ἔργον (ergon, "work"). (Wiktionary)