from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small, dim light left on all night.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An artificial light intended to be kept burning all night.
- n. Specifically— A short thick candle with a wick small in proportion and arranged so as to give a small flame for many hours.
- n. A short wick attached to a float which rests on the surface of oil in a vessel.
- n. A phosphorescent marine infusorian, Noctiluca miliaris.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. light (as a candle or small bulb) that burns in a bedroom at night (as for children or invalids)
Sorry, no etymologies found.