from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a small governing faction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of an oligarchy, someone who is part of a small group that runs a country.
- n. A very rich person (especially in Russia).
- n. A protoplanet formed during oligarchic accretion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A member of an oligarchy; one of the rulers in an oligarchical government.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of an oligarchy; one of a few holding political power.
- In botany, having a few centripetally developed xylem plates: said of some radial vascular cylinders.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the rulers in an oligarchy
Greek oligarkhēs : oligos, few + -arkhēs, -arch.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ὀλίγοι (oligoi, "few") + ἀρχή (arkhē, "rule"). (Wiktionary)