from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who is professionally trained and licensed to examine the eyes for visual defects, diagnose problems or impairments, and prescribe corrective lenses or provide other types of treatment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a person trained and skilled in examining and testing the eyes for defects, in order to prescribe corrective lenses or treatment
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who is skilled in or practices optometry, especially one who examines the eyes for defects in vision and prescribes the proper lenses to correct any defects discovered.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who measures the visual power; specifically, an optician without medical training, who fits eyeglasses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person skilled in testing for defects of vision in order to prescribe corrective glasses
Sorry, no etymologies found.