from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person having authority over others, especially an overseer or a shift supervisor.
- n. See superman.
- transitive v. To provide with more personnel than necessary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who supervises others; a supervisor
- n. A person with great powers; a superman
- v. to provide with too many personnel
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One in authority over others; a chief; usually, an overseer or boss.
- n. An arbiter.
- n. In the philosophy of Nietzsche, a man of superior physique and powers capable of dominating others; one fitted to survive in an egoistic struggle for the mastery.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In coal-mining, the person having charge of the work below ground.
- To employ too many men on or in, as on a ship.
- n. In general, an overseer, or foreman.
- n. An arbitrator, or umpire.
- n. In the writings of F. W. Nietzsche, a type with more or less superhuman qualities toward which he supposed mankind to be developing.
N., sense 2, translation of German Übermensch : über, over, higher + Mensch, man.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
A calque of German Übermensch. Compare superman. (Wiktionary)