from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The 17th letter of the Hebrew alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The seventeenth letter of many Semitic alphabets/abjads (Phoenician, Aramaic, Hebrew, Syriac, Arabic and others).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the 17th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The seventeenth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, corresponding to the Greek pi (
π) and the English pe . Its numerical value is 80.
- n. In chem., the symbol for pelopium.
- n. An abbreviation of Prince Edward Island.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the mechanical energy that a body has by virtue of its position; stored energy
- n. the 17th letter of the Hebrew alphabet
Hebrew pē, of Phoenician origin; see p in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Proto-Semitic *pay- (“mouth”). (Wiktionary)