from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who admires Greece or the Greeks.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a lover of Greek culture and Greece.
- n. a supporter of the cause of Greek independence, especially during the Greek war of indepence in 1821-29 (see Philhellenism).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A friend of Greece, or of the Greeks; a philhellenist.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A friend of Greece; a foreigner who supports the cause and interests of the Hellenes; particularly, one who favored, supported, or actually assisted the modern Greeks in their successful struggle with the Turks for independence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by a love of Greece and Grecian things
- n. an admirer of Greece and everything Greek
Greek philellēn : phil-, philo-, philo- + Hellēn, Greek.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
phil- + Hellene (Wiktionary)