from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sports A stop at a pit for refueling or service during an automobile race.
- n. Informal A brief stop for rest and refreshment, especially during an automobile trip.
- n. Informal A place where such a stop is made.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stop made during an automobile race at the pit to refuel and perform other periodic maintenance on the vehicle.
- n. A brief stop for fuel, rest and/or refreshment during an automobile journey.
- n. A stop during any pedestrian or automobile travel for any utilitarian personal purpose, especially use of a bathroom.
- n. A place that offers food, beverages, and other goods and services for those stopping on an automobile journey.
- n. A utilitarian stop on a figurative journey.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See pit stop in the vocabulary.
- n. A stop by one of the competing cars in a pit by the side of the racetrack, to take on gasoline, change tires, or perform other maintenance.
- n. Any pause in a journey, to eat or drink, or to use a rest room.
- n. A place where one may make a pit stop[1 or 2].
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stop during an automobile trip for rest and refreshment
- n. a brief stop at a pit during an automobile race to take on fuel or service the car
Literally, a stop at the pit of an automobile race track. (Wiktionary)