from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See shaddock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large yellow citrus fruit native to southeastern Asia and Malaysia. It has a sweet flesh and is about 25 centimeters in diameter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A variety of shaddock, called also grape fruit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A variety of the shaddock, smaller than the shaddock proper, but much larger than an orange; the grapefruit. Also called forbidden-fruit. Compare pompelmous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large pear-shaped fruit similar to grapefruit but with coarse dry pulp
- n. southeastern Asian tree producing large fruits resembling grapefruits
Alteration of pompelmous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Origin uncertain; perhaps an alteration of Dutch pampelmoes ("shaddock"); alternatively, perhaps an alteration of a compound of pome ("apple") + melon, or an alteration of a compound of their cognates (forms such as pomello and pomolo suggest the influence of pome or its cognates, but the hypothesised compound of pome + melon (or mutatis mutandis) is unattested). (Wiktionary)