from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music The principal part in a duet or ensemble composition.
- adj. First.
- adj. Slang Exceptionally good of its kind; first-class.
- adj. Slang Highly or most valuable.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The principal part of a duet.
- adj. Best; first-class.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. First; chief.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In music, a first or principal part, as in duets or trios.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. the best of its kind
- n. the principal part of a duet (especially a piano duet)
Italian, from Old Italian, first, from Latin prīmus; see per1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Italian primo ("first") (Wiktionary)