from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chronic skin disease having various causes, marked by the eruption of pale, dome-shaped papules that itch severely.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A papular disease of the skin, with intense itching as the main symptom.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A papular disease of the skin, of which intense itching is the chief symptom, the eruption scarcely differing from the healthy cuticle in color.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An itching; specifically, a papular eruption of the skin in which the papules vary in size from a millet-seed to a small pea, are discrete, often in great numbers and close set, irregular in distribution, nearly of the color of the cuticle, and usually intolerably itchy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. chronic inflammatory disease of the skin characterized by blister capped papules and intense itching
Latin prūrīgō, an itching, from prūrīre, to itch; see preus- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin, an itching, the itch, from prurire to itch. (Wiktionary)