from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various jumping plant lice of the family Psyllidae, especially of the genus Psylla, which includes several species that infest fruit trees.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any leaping plant louse of the genus Psylla, or family Psyllidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any leaping plant louse of the genus Psylla, or family Psyllidæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of homopterous insects, typical of the family Psyllidæ, having a pointed, bent front, highly arched scutum, and strongly developed scutellum, the body smooth, naked, or finely pilose, and the extreme tip of the wing falling between the radius and the fourth vein.
- n. [lowercase] An insect of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small active cicada-like insect with hind legs adapted for leaping; feeds on plant juices
New Latin Psylla, type genus, from Greek psulla, flea.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the genus name. (Wiktionary)