from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Canine faeces used as a lye in tanning.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The dung of dogs, used as an alkaline steep in tanning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An erroneous spelling of pure.
- n. The droppings of dogs.
- n. In tanning, an infusion of the dung of dogs, fowls, or pigeons, used to soften the skins after liming and preparatory to tanning. Also known as bate. The soaking in such an infusion is called puering or bating.
- In tanning, to cleanse with a bate of dog's dung.
Perhaps from French. (Wiktionary)